Roald Dahl’s The Big Friendly Giant drawn by Bill Asprey
Bill Asprey adapted The BFG into a comic strip from Roald Dahl’s best selling book, The Big Friendly Giant, in 1986, for the UK’s Mail on Sunday comics section. Journalist Brian Lee came up with the idea and scripted the comic based on Roald Dahl’s original book, but after running out of book, Brian brilliantly invented themes and storylines in the style of Roald Dahl, which the author agreed to before he died. Although Roald Dahl was known to be difficult at times, he couldn’t have been nicer to us and I can’t remember a single query from him or his agent in all the years it ran in the Mail on Sunday cartoon supplement.
Brian Lee and Bill Asprey continued to produce the BFG comic strip after Roald Dahl’s death for the UK’s best selling Sunday newspaper, The Mail on Sunday, in response to the incredible popularity of Roald Dahl’s childrens’ books at that time. It ran for over 12 years and was syndicated by Solo Syndication, London.
Whenever he has time, Bill puts up new images, so do check back occasionally! You can also e-mail Bill about The BFG but please be patient, he sometimes take a while to answer.
Big Friendly Giant Noticeboard
- Friendship is…Wednesday 26March 2020 25/03/2020
- Big Friendly Giant – Color Sunday 1 December 2019 01/12/2019
- Big Friendly Giant Sunday 24 November 2019 24/11/2019
- Football for Friendship Friday 17 May 2019 17/05/2019
- Love is… merchandise -Tuesday 26 March 2019 26/03/2019
- Summer 2018 Moscow 14/09/2018
- Happy Independence Day 04/07/2018
- Moscow memories 20/06/2018
- Love is…in Russia 18/06/2018
- News Update 8 December 2017 08/12/2017
BFG’s Multyplycashun Tables
Big Friendly Giant Readers
Readers and fans who have comments or questions about The BFG may like to use the Noticeboard at the bottom of this page.
The Mail on Sunday BFG comicstrip
Big Friendly Giant Licensing
To enquire about licensing/publishing opportunities, please click here.